Saturday, January 15, 2022

I'm still alive and very well

Charles Henry Huls
Logan, Ohio

January 15, 1925

Dear Folks:

    I'm still alive and very well. The only reason you haven't heard from me is just because I'm up to my old habits of letting Fred write

    Before I forget to tell you I'll mention here that I carried the Hudson keys up here with me and will keep them until I come home or either send them by mail if you want them.

    We certainly enjoyed the fruitcake and candy and Mrs Abernathy was tickled to death about hers. The other party passed nice compliments also.

    And there's another thing I must mention before I forget. I'll need my dress shirts next week so send them right away. Rather I should have said that I need one next week.

    We expected to see you in Columbus when Pop called and said he had come up. Enjoyed eating with him that night and always want both of you to let us know whenever you are in town.

    Fred certainly has been working hard on the Makio. Cunningham told me today that he had an awful time to keep the other candidates satisfied because he let Fred do the most work. But he asked what he could do. He said the work had to be done and there was only one person whom he could give things to and know they would be done right and on time without going into details.

    Fred has also been studying hard and I believe will have easier and lees [sic] work than last quarter.

    I didn't get to read Pop's article in the paper. I was told that it was in a couple of days after it appeared and I couldn't get a back number of the paper up here in the north end. Several of the boys said it was a very good and fair statement of affairs and it surprised me as some ofthem [sic] are wet.

    Prof. Myers was up to the hpuse [sic] the other night and I had a long talk with him. He says I have a wonderful chance at home and advises me to take over the paper but says I should work at least a year on a city paper for the sake of experience and education. He doesn't advise sticking to a city paper however. Said he ahd [sic] advised his son in this way and that he had followed the suggestions and was on a country paper doing very well. He offered to get me a job for a year when I graduate.

    I don't believe I'd like to do regular work on a daily for very long as there is not much chance for advancement beyond a certain point and it is certainly a grind, but I would like to get a little taste of city work and from what Pop said at Christmas I take it that will be all right for me to do this.

    It will be better if I can get a job in line now and I wanted to make sure that you would have no objections to such a plan before I did anything definite.

    WE've [sic] had plenty of ice here this week and there had been a lot of sliding. So far I've been able to keep my feet but I've seen several hit the cement pretty hard.

    I had planned to drive home this week end but I have two meetings Sunday and it is important that I attend both so I will have to postpone my trip another week.

    It's midnight now and I'm going to enter the refrigerator (as defined by A.E.H.) and get a good sleep. Once I get under the covers I'll never move till morning. Fred has been in bed for about an hour.

Love,

        Hen.

P.S. Don't forget the Republican and the Waboos.*

*typed on letterhead with handwritten post script

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts